Greg Saunier/Mary Halvorson/Ron Miles
New American Songbooks, Volume 1
SA004/Out December 5th, 2017
This debut LP by three radical American artists updates the time-worn concept of the American Songbook. Greg Saunier of Deerhoof joins two burgeoning legends of American experimental jazz: Ron Miles and Mary Halvorson to redefine American music outside of Tin Pan Alley. The result is an astounding new take on music by Fiona Apple, Elliott Smith, John Williams, James P. Johnson, and others.
The limited edition LP features three of America’s brightest stars of rock, experimental, and jazz music in a first-time meeting. Greg Saunier is best known for his brilliant and mind-bending drumming in his band Deerhoof. Mary Halvorson, still in her 30s, is being hailed as a significant new voice in experimental modern jazz while working with legends such as John Zorn and Anthony Braxton. Ron Miles’s lyrical and folksy cornet playing with Bill Frisell and Joshua Redman has made him a unique voice in straight-ahead jazz circles.
New American Songbooks, Volume 1, released on December 5th, is the first recording in a new series produced by Sound American Publications, and follows on the heels of their successful CD of composer Alex Mincek’s Torrent earlier this year. SA editor and producer, Nate Wooley, asked Saunier, Miles, and Halvorson to participate in a rare project in which they would pick the tunes that they thought should be included in a new American canon and work together as a one-time group to make arrangements, rehearse and record. The result is a beautifully intimate recording of three iconoclastic musicians producing a music greater than the sum of its parts; a recording that pays homage to the American musical tradition while absolutely breaking new ground. The LP will be released in conjunction with Sound American Issue 18 (part two): Big Band Music and the American Songbook which will be published online at soundamerican.org on December 5th, and will feature interviews with all three band members on the project.
For more information, promo requests or to set up an interview, please contact Ed Bromwich of Pleasure of the Text at email@example.com.
1. Jonathan (Fiona Apple, Arr. Mary Halvorson)
2. Symphony #6 (Second Movement) (Vincent Persichetti, Arr. Greg Saunier)
3. I Woke Up In Love This Morning (From The Partridge Family) (L. Russell Brown and Irwin Lewine, Arr. Ron Miles)
4. Vignette (Gary Peacock, Arr. Mary Halvorson)
5. Luke and Leia (From The Return of the Jedi) (John Williams, Arr. Greg Saunier)
1. Snowy Morning Blues (James P. Johnson, Arr. Ron Miles)
2. Everything Means Nothing To Me/Last Call (Elliott Smith, Arr. Ron Miles/Mary Halvorson)
3. Day Dream (Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn, Arr. Ron Miles/Mary Halvorson/Greg Saunier)
4. Little Pad (The Beach Boys)/Caught In The Game (Survivor)/Kitty Kat (Empress Of) (Brian Wilson/Jim Peterik and Frankie Sullivan/Lorely Rodriguez, Arr. Greg Saunier)
Take a Listen!
Jonathan by Fiona Apple. Arranged by Mary Halvorson
Luke and Leia's Theme by John Williams. Arranged by Greg Saunier
Day Dream by Billy Strayhorn. Arranged by Ron Miles
New American Songbooks Volume 1 Is Now Available for Pre-Order!
Order now and receive an immediate download of the music and your LP shipped just before the release date before the holiday rush! Perfect for under every mantle!